November 27, 2011

Thinking Outside The Box

After reading "Allegory of the Cave" and " No Exit". I realized that both readings are quite similar, because they both talked about how humans think in terms of life and what is real and expected.
Plato described humans as ignorant human beings, saying that whatever we saw must be real, even though they are merely shadows. While Satre described humans as ignorant in the sense that they think they need physical objects to "torture" them. When in reality, people just torture themselves with their thoughts and other people around them. Both of their extended metaphors give enlightenment on hard complex ideas and make them easier to follow and understand.

2 comments:

  1. Good points, I definitely agree. I found that the "Allegory of the Cave" contrasted belief with reality, where "No Exit"contrasted belief with judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your view on Plato's theory and I also agree. I found "No Exit" described humans being trapped within their own nightmares which turned out to be themselves.

    ReplyDelete