November 9, 2011

Performative Utterance Essay

Performative utterance is a key factor in every decision you make. Both in Hamlet and my own experiences, performative utterance plays a big part; because it helps people make decisions in every situation. It also helps secure an idea already in your brain, so you will have no second thoughts.
For Hamlet, self-overhearing basically created the plot and also built his character. It helped us get into his mindset and see what was going to happen next. Without this, we would go through the whole book picturing Hamlet as a young adult with crazy problems. Yet, when reading his soliloquies his true motives me alive. Realizing that he's not crazy and in fact, an amateur for revenge. His speaking constitutes action in the sense that we know what's coming next.

Comparing Hamlet's self-overhearing to my own, we are alike in some ways. When Hamlet talks to himself, he is reassuring himself about revenge of his father. When I do the same thing, I reassure myself on going to college. When reflecting on your own experiences, the main part being reflected becomes focused and bigger, while the other details slowly fade away. So, as you keep on thinking you end up with one idea being processed over and over again, a fact made by Bloom. Self-overhearing for me is when I sit down and to start to think about everything I have planned for the future, as in my college future. It creates a sense of expectation and determination for me. To accomplish the one thing I think about over and over again in my mind.
            Self-overhearing is a mental process, that helps you realize the true potential inside one's self. Hamlets gave him the courage to actually plan an elaborate revenge scheme. While my own has challenged me to take control of my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment